Season Sailing update

The Board has considered the current updates regarding COVID-19 and its impact on the Club’s sailing calendar. The latest NSW Health announcement requires that people participate in sporting activities within their local area.

Australian Sailing has designated four regional zones in the Greater Sydney area to avoid inter-regional mixing. Click here to view the zones.

These recommendations are anticipated to be in effect until the end of September and will be reviewed by NSW Health in early October. It is recommended that skippers sail with a crew who usually reside in their own local area, to help discourage travelling for community sport. For example, if you live in Area A, you should sail with a crew all from Area A where possible.

This also extends to volunteers assisting with the organisation of yacht races. Some more information can be found on the Australian Sailing website by clicking here.

The other condition that has a major impact on our ability to run races is that sporting events which require overnight stays are required to be cancelled.

So, what does this mean for us?

As one of the major yacht clubs in Sydney we draw from a large geographical area for skippers, crew and race officials and the regional restrictions would impact the majority of our racing fleet.

The Board took this information into consideration and made the following decisions about our upcoming races:

  • Flinders Islet Race – abandoned (no ability to reschedule)
  • Short Haul Pointscore Race 1, Monica Geddes Memorial Race, 13 September – abandoned (possibility of rescheduling at the end of the season)
  • Short Ocean Pointscore Race 1, 26 September – abandoned (possibility of rescheduling at the end of the season)
  • Short Haul Pointscore Race 2, 26 September – abandoned (possibility of rescheduling at the end of the season)

Although the intention was to replace the 2020 Noakes Sydney Gold Coast Yacht Race with a Cat 2 race already accommodated within the CYCA Sailing Program, the restriction on overnight races will unfortunately prevent us from conducting an Audi Centre Sydney BWPS race over the October long weekend.

Therefore, if the current restrictions are lifted and it is safe to do so, we plan for the first Audi Centre Sydney Blue Water Pointscore race to be the Cabbage Tree Island Race on Friday 6 November. We’re currently considering what it’s going to take to run this race so please keep an eye out for further updates.

We hope that the review in early October will allow us to recommence sailing on Monday 7 October with our first Wednesday Twilight Race.

While we absolutely appreciate this has a significant impact on our Members’ sailing plans, we hope Members understand these actions are based upon prioritising the health and safety of our people and the community in general.

ROLEX SYDNEY HOBART YACHT RACE

We are aware many owners, crews and stakeholders are eager for a decision on the status of the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race and the remaining Audi Centre Sydney Blue Water Pointscore races.

A large portion of the meeting was spent discussing a risk analysis and matrix that had been prepared by the Sailing Committee and the Management Team. It was agreed that we will continue to work towards a decision in mid-October as we continuously consult with the stakeholders of the race in the meantime.

CYCA Principal Sponsor

CYCA Official Sponsors

CYCA Youth Sailing Academy Sponsors and Supporters

Processing...
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
CYCA weekly newsletter
ErrorHere