The Ocean Racer of the Year Awards were established by the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia in 1985 to recognise the outstanding achievements of yachtsmen and yachtswomen Australia wide.
Along with the Blue Water Championship, being recognised in one of the Ocean Racer of the Year categories are the most prestigious and sought after awards of the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia’s sailing program.
The CYCA Ocean Racer of the Year Awards are held annually in conjunction with the CYCA Blue Water Pointscore Presentation evening. The CYCA Ocean Racer of the Year Awards recognising achievements from the 2018 year will take place on Friday 22 March 2019.
Winners of the Ocean Racer Awards are presented in recognition of the calendar sailing season (1 Jan – 31 Dec) in the following categories. Awardees are often nominated by their peers:
- Ocean Racing Yachtsperson of the Year – is the most prestigious of the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia’s five awards, and is presented to the leader of an Australian Ocean Racing campaign who has excelled above others during the qualification period.
- Sally Gordon Memorial Trophy for the Ocean Crew Person of the Year – an award which recognises a non-professional crew member that contributes significantly to your program, and can be a crew member who greatly assists in the preparation of the boat prior or post racing, or assists in completing paperwork and other association race documentation.
- Ocean Veteran of the Year – awarded to a stalwart of the sport, who, has either been campaigning for a number of years, or who has returned to offshore racing after a brief hiatus from the sport of sailing.
- Ocean Rookie of the Year – awarded to a competitor that, whilst maybe no foreigner to crewing or participating in ocean racing, has for the first time campaigned their own boat within the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia’s prestigious Blue Water Sailing Program.
- Ocean Navigator of the Year – instituted in 2008 to recognise the integral role that navigators play in the successful campaign of a yacht.
To nominate, click here to complete the nomination form.
Further information regarding nominations and the applicable nomination periods are sent to respective Australian Ocean Racing clubs, or are available on request from the Sailing Office.
In an effort to include as many owners, skippers and crew as possible, the evening will be in the form of a Cocktail party rather than a formal dinner.
The event is free to attend for boat owners and crew who participated in the 2018-2019 Audi Centre Sydney Blue Water Pointscore Prizegiving; or invited guests for the CYCA Ocean Racer Awards.
Please note that the CYCA may refuse entry to this event for any person who has either not registered their attendance, nor has a relevant association with event.
RSVP: By Monday 18 March 2019
To make a booking to attend this prestigious event please book through the Trybooking Website here: https://www.trybooking.com/BAHME