- 450g whole wheat flour
- 13g baking powder
- 7.5g salt
- 80g butter, room temperature
- 295ml milk, room temperature
- Sieve dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture has the consistency of fine breadcrumbs.
- Add milk, combining with your hands, until the mixture is soft but not sticky. If the mixture is sticky add more flour, if dry add more milk.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead it gently about 4-5 times until the dough is smooth and about 3.5cm thick. Don’t handle the dough too much or the scones will be tough and heavy.
- Flatten the dough or roll it out until 2cm thick. Cut into rounds with a cutter or into squares. Ensure you dip your knife or cutter into flour before every cut.
- Place scones on a preheated tray with baking paper, 1cm apart.
- Sprinkle tops with flour, or brush with milk.
- Bake at 220 degrees for 10-12 min. Tap the top of the scone with your finger, if it sounds hollow they are cooked.
- Remove from tray and place on cooling rack, covered with a cloth.
- Serve with jam and cream