As a Registered Club the CYCA relies on members to assist formulate policy through committee based structures, provide human resources in the conduct of our extensive sailing calendar, and offer professional services that management can refer to from time to time.
Volunteering is what makes a registered club unique from a standard commercial organisation, and without volunteers the club could not properly function within the framework of the its constitution.
The board of directors (volunteers themselves), are always looking for members to donate their time and particular skill set for the benefit of the organisation.
Volunteers are required for;
- Events and Club Functions
- Race Management
- Emergency Management
- Radio Operators (ocean races)
- Equipment Auditing
- Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race Information Centre
- Boat driving
- Breakfast club
- Archiving and cataloguing the clubs historical records
- Marketing / Communications
- Protest committee
If you have a desire to devote your time and expertise for the benefit of the club please contact the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia and attach a completed Application Form. Volunteers must also read the Volunteer Code Of Conduct.
Race Officer / Administrative Officer
Location: Sydney, Australia
Employment type: Permanent (full-time or part-time both considered)
Seniority Level: Entry level
Applications close: 31 August 2018 – please provide both a Cover Letter and Resume if applying
The Cruising Yacht Club of Australia is currently in a unique position to recruit the services of a qualified and experienced Race Officer. This position is key in providing professional on-water race management for the Club’s year-round seasonal racing calendar.
This involves the preparation and conduct of the club’s twilight racing and weekend offshore racing events, managing a small team of volunteers to start, monitor and finish races. Experience in conducting offshore keel boat racing and mark laying is highly desirable as is the ability to provide leadership under pressure.
Along with providing exceptional on-water race management, the candidate would be in a position to recruit, train and manage a volunteer race management team along with liaising with various departments to ensure the operational readiness of club on-water assets and mark laying operations as required.
The uniqueness of this position allows the candidate to undertake a role that requires both office administration as well as providing duties outdoors located on Sydney Harbour.
This position does require a large amount of evening and weekend work between September and March with occasional overnight stays on board the Race Committee vessel during the Clubs signature Audi Centre Sydney Blue Water racing program (Sep – Dec), as well as occasional offshore passages.
The Candidate will also be required to work Sundays from April to August each year, and assist with the Race Management teams to conduct the start of the Noakes Sydney Gold Coast Yacht Race and Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race.
Further to the on-water Race management duties, the successful candidate, dependant on experience, will be called upon during peak periods to assist in the race administration paperwork within the CYCA’s industry leading Sailing Department.
Qualifications / Experience
• Australian Sailing or equivalent recognised qualifications as State / National Race Officer
• Keel boat race / regatta on-management experience
• Marine (VHF&HF) Radio qualifications
• Sound knowledge of the Racing Rules of Sailing
• I.T computer skills to manage on-water results
• Ability to move around a working boat in varying sea states and conditions
• ISAF/World Sailing International Race Officers qualifications
• Recreational Boat Licence or Coxswains Certificates
• Senior First Aid or ability to undertake training
• Cert IV Workplace Training and Assessment
• Match Racing Regatta experience
• Sound knowledge of key locations of Sydney Harbour and the waters off Port Jackson
• Familiarity with Top Yacht or equivalent on-water race results systems
• Experience within a Sailing Office or equivalent conduct of regatta or major yacht race
• Experience or familiarity with Navigational software and setting waypoints
For further information or a detailed job description contact: